Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Black Salt - Kala Namak



Yay! I have finally found some Black Salt, or Kala Namak.

It's an earth salt- a volcanic salt, rather than a sea salt. And it's not black at all, it's a peachy beige colour. It was only $2.49 for 7oz.

I was so looking forward to this. I opened the bag and sniffed- nothing. Sigh. So I licked a finger and stuck it in. WHOAH! I have not eaten eggs for 24 years, yet I immediately recognized the taste- yolks from hard-boiled eggs.

It was easy to give up eggs. I never really liked them without dressing them up. But I really understand why some of the Indian websites say they use it as an appetizer, because I can't stop tasting it. I haven't even cooked with it yet! Maybe as a vegan I just haven't been getting enough sulphur? Who knows? All I know is that this stuff is good. I have a feeling I might not like it in cooked food, since I've never liked eggs, but I intend to try to make a vegan omelette and a quiche with it and test it out on my neighbors. I'll let you know how it goes. Buy some Black Salt.

Click here
Black Salt (Kala Namak) 7oz

No comments: