Saturday, July 4, 2009

Product Review- Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips



I made vegan Fajitas for the boys tonight. Pretty simple, just Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips and sauteed sliced red and green Bell Peppers and onions. Served on Corn Tortillas with soy cheese, Romaine lettuce and Avocados. Grif said it was one of the best dinners I've ever made- he ate 4 of them.

I started with a package of Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips. I used half a package, but my guess is that a full package would feed four people depending on how it was used. I cut the strips a little thinner for the fajitas. I then tossed them in a mix of 2 tablespoons of flour, and 1/4 teaspoon of Onion powder, Garlic powder, paprika and poultry seasonings as well as a tad of flaked chili. The Product is supposedly already seasoned.
I then tried to fry the strips in a couple of teaspoons of corn oil. They really didn't brown, but after a while it looked like they were as brown as they were going to get. When I tasted them, they were hard and chewy. So, after I cooked the other veggies, I added them back in and tossed a splash of white wine in. This somehow softened them back up. Pooh. I was wanting crispy non-chicken fajitas.

While I did not personally like or dislike them, my children did. While they were supposedly already seasoned, even with my added seasonings they were still bland.

I think they have potential. Tomorrow I'll try to make corned beef hash with the leftovers.

Just don't fry them, I guess.

No comments: